|At last. Street cred is mine!!
The Reverend (also known as "Priest" or "Preacher") is a former Recurring Character in Squidbillies, he is a tear drop shaped resident of Dougal County, he is the head of the local church and owner of the Mattress Christ store. He is often seen at the church preaching or protesting anything he might find immoral. Although the reverend acts as if he is happy most of the time, he is often seen as having inner torment due to the Cuyler family, and sees them as a test to his faith. He was voiced by the late Scott Hilley.
The Reverend is seen as a passive figure from the beginning, often backing down whenever he is threatened. the Reverend is usually seen preaching or protesting, as he says he is doing the work of God. Although the reverend is seen as having the most faith of all the characters, he is often attracting misfortune, as he is often dying do to the products of Dan Halen and being beat by the Cuyler family and to the extent of almost being raped by Granny. In "Armageddon It On!", His preaching also seems to get him nowhere as he was the only resident in Dougal County who was not taken to heaven(with the exception of Dan Halen) when the rapture occurred. He may not be living up to his religion. Despite all of the bad luck the reverends has, he still continues to try to teach the word of God and has protested several events in Squidbillies such as the selling of alcoholic beverages on Sundays and the annual Mud day celebration.
Personality and Traits
The preacher is known for having a soft heart, and at times, has given the residents advice. He often preaches with an assertive voice,however the reverend acts passive when actually confronting everyone and will often avoid conversations. The reverend worries easily and is frightened easily, but does not stay away from social events as he is often seen at them usually complaining about activities he might find immoral or blasphemous.
The Reverend keeps the church in good condition, as well as having a grail and other objects that might be found in churches. The Reverend will wave his arms around while preaching to keep the mass listening, and will act as he is speaking to God, but does try to keep the visitors in line when they do something that might disrupt the mass. If noted, in a room in the church in "God's Bro", A banner in the room says "Southern Baptist Church".
- "what no relish? Blasphemy!"
- (On Dan Halen's Particle Accelerator) "Uhh.... I don't understand it... SO IT'S AN ABOMINATION!!"
- (To the Sheriff's Gay Inner Demons) "In the name of Jesus, I command you to leave this man and return to the fiery depths of San Francisco!"
- "This Show is Called Squidbillies" (Debut)
- "Take This Job and Love It"
- "Office Politics Trouble"
- "Giant Foam Dickhat Trouble"
- "Bubba Trubba"
- "Burned and Reburned Again"
- "Survival of the Dumbest"
- "A Sober Sunday"
- "Beast Implants"
- "Wing Nut"
- "Mephistopheles Traveled Below to a Southern State Whose Motto Is 'Wisdom, Justice and Moderation'"
- "The Good One"
- "Condition: Demolition!"
- "The Appalachian Mud Squid: Darwin's Dilemma"
- "Armageddon It On!"
- "The Okaleechee Dam Jam"
- "Pile M for Murder"
- "Mud Days and Cornfused"
- "The Liar, the Bitch and the Bored Rube"
- "The Fine Ol’ Solution"
- "The Big Gay Throwdown"
- "God's Bro"
- "The Many Loves of Early Cuyler"
- "Dead Squid Walking"
- "Young, Dumb and Full of Gums"
- "Fatal Distraction"
- "America: Why I Love Her"
- "Class of '86"
- "Velvet Messiah"
- "The Big E"
- "Return of Gaga Pee Pap"
- "Green and Sober"
- "From Russia with Stud"
- "Granite Caverns"
- "Ga-Ga Ghost"
- "The Inkubator Lives!"
- "A Jailhouse Divided" (voice heard)
- "Stop, Jammer Time"
- "Thou Shale Not Drill"
- "Hetero-Cephalo Agenda"
- "Taint Misbehavin'"
- "Bunker Down, You Hairy Dawg!"
- "A Walk To Dignity"
- "Jose, Can You? Si!" (Last Appearance)
- "Greener Pastor" (Cameo & Referenced)
- Although the Dougal County church is large, very few people attend it, the only known residents that attend the church are the Cuylers andthe Mexicans, this is changed in later episodes.
- The Reverend's voice actor Scott Hilley died, which resulted in his character being retired, this explains why he doesn't appear in some of the new & recent seasons, the episode "Greener Pastor", was dedicated to him & his voice actor, he was replaced by Kyle Nubbins, a new reverend of the church.
- In "Take This Job & Love It", he was seen owning Mattress Christ however this was the only appearance of the said store, in later episodes the Mattress store is not again & the Church he owned is seen throughout the show.